pianotech-digest V1997 #789

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Thu, 14 May 1998 19:03:09

Greetings,
          A crude fix that some of the old timers use to use, was to shave
the felt down on the shoulders and glue on a strip of back check leather,
if the hammers are that worn down in the treble, the rest of the piano is
just as bad.
 Hot animal glue is the ideal way to do this, but why bother.
Roger

>List Friends,
>
>I have often worked on old uprights where the last few hammers are into
>the wood.  I have replaced these hammers at times with new ones, but it
>is often difficult to voice them to the rest of the old ones.  Also,
>many people just cannot afford a new set of hammers and the necessary
>work to get the old piano up to par.
>
>When high treble hammers are into the wood, is there any way to use the
>felt still on the sides of the hammers to sort of recap the tops?  I
>have tryed this, but haven't been too sucessful.  Does anyone have any
>thoughts on this?  Thanks.

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.
Saskatoon/Regina.