pianotech-digest V1997 #789 -Reply

Steve Pearson SPearson@yamaha.com
Thu, 14 May 1998 11:52:29 -0700

I agree, and am glad to be in such esteemed company.  I have resorted to
this on more than one occasion in years past, particularly in the treble of
ancient uprights.  I found it nesessary to reshape tho' even if that meant
going down to the wood.  It is important not to have a flat surface behind
the leather.  It was a good use for that less than fabulous backcheck
leather that came in strips.  I never sold it as a proper fix, but given the
difficulty in finding good upright hammers, and accurate hanging, it was
remarkably effective.  I recently saw a Knabe grand I had done this to
back in the seventies, and was pleased / shocked at how good it
sounded.  Maybe those old guys weren't as dumb as we thought, eh?
Steve

>>> "Jim Coleman, Sr." <pianotoo@IMAP2.ASU.EDU> 05/14/98 11:22am

Hi James:

In the olden days it was quite common to recover the top hammers with
leather. Leather can be shaped and it can be hardened with lac or other
chemicals to help match the tone of those neighboring hammers with very
hard thin felt. To us today, it just looks a little weird, but is practical
where the piano does not warrant more complete care.

Jim Coleman, Sr.