Rim Repair reply

Thu, 14 May 1998 07:49:38 -0700

Jon Page wrote:

> Why not just apply epoxy and clamp allowing the screw
> holes to fill with epoxy and then drill into that.
>
> Jon Page

Because the epoxy soaks into the wood fiber in the region, making it quite hard. This
means it is less resilient. This means that when the new hole is drilled and the screw
inserted, it has a tendency to cause another split. That, plus the problem of concentrated
stress that caused the problem in the first place. The plug, or dowel, will spread the
stress out over a broader area, hopefully preventing a reoccurrence of the problem.

We've already spent more time discussing this repair than it will take to do it. Given the
proper tools, it should not be a time consuming repair. Depending on your skill with
tools, twenty to thirty minutes, tops.

-- ddf