Rim Repair

Newton Hunt nhunt@jagat.com
Thu, 14 May 1998 09:26:10 -0400

Hello Frank,

I have had this situation twice, both times from having the kpiano
slammed agains a wall with enough force to split the rim.  One an older
Yamaha G-3 and a Mason & Hamlin BB.

On the Yamaha I routed out enough material to install a new piece of
wood, oak in that case, redrilled the screw holes a put an oak bar on
the side to preven a reoccurance because of it's location in a student
center.

The BB I used replaced a piece of wood and filled the last spaces with
Bondo, filled the screw holes with 3/8" oak plugs (not dowels which are
end grain) sprayed the area, redrilled screw holes and that job was
done.

The piano was moved to a chapel where it is used for choral rehearsals
recitals and services.  People were forever pushing it around by it's
lid, so I ended up having to reform the lid screw holes with thick CA
and installing a lid retainer/guide/etc from Yamaha.  Works great!

	Newton