Servicing automatic pianos

PDtek PDtek@aol.com
Wed, 13 May 1998 02:06:44 EDT

Just wanted to add my own perspective on Larry's article. I guess the main
thing I would emphasize is to learn the system thouroghly before attempting
any service on it. During my 15 years as a piano tech I am frequently asked by
churches if I would look to see why their organ is making that "staticy"
sound, or people with pneumatic players will ask me to service their pianos,
and in both cases I politely decline. I may as well offer to spay the family
cat as put my grubby paws into the guts of an organ I know next to nothing
about. There is no shame in admitting that.

I have been a PianoDisc tech for 5 years, and after about 100 installs, I
still run into something new now and then. It IS a complex system and there is
much to be known about it in order to service it competently. Knowing a little
about the system can get you in more trouble than going in blind. Just one
example: if the solenoid rail is not set at the right height, then any
attempts at any other regulation will be pointless. Or if the control box is
running and the piano is not playing, is it a bad cable? A blown fuse? Do you
know where the fuses are? Some are well hidden. Maybe junior was just playing
with the buttons and hit PIANO-OFF. Would you know to check this first? Look
up Pandora's Box in the dictionary and you will see a picture of the PDS-128.

If a lot of your customers have these systems, you might find it beneficial to
take the factory classes offered by the manufacturers, even if you are not
interested in installing the product. Hey, it can only add to your income,
too. If you want nothing to do with these players, then thats fine too. Just
have your customer call a certified tech to take care of the player portion of
the job. You will save yourself some big headaches and the customer will
receive the service they require. After all, what would your opinion be of an
organ tech diving into a customer's fine grand to see if he can figure out how
to fix that pesky do-hinkey?

And thanks, Larry, for a great post with lots of good information. Very
timely.

Respectfully,
Dave Bunch
Dave Bunch Piano Service