Charged ... Charged Again

Guy, Karen, and Tor Nichols nicho@lascruces.com
Mon, 11 May 1998 18:50:17 -0600

At 02:12 PM 5/11/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Hello Everyone!

Zen,
(by the way, as a member of the odd names club, where'd yours come from?),

Our retail volume is low enough so this kind of thing doesn't happen....
often. We did have a case where a trade-in was sold by the truck driver,
though! Lucky for us, all we discovered was a need for lotsa-lotsa lost
motion reg and a pitch raise. We do have to cover our butts with the
"as-is" thing, but we warrant the basic integrity. (block and plate, basic
tune-ability, etc.). I think the dealer you're talking about likely did the
right thing, trade-wise, and were it me, I wouldn't have charged for the
delivery/exchange. Then again, I'm one of the movers, and southern New
Mexico doesn't have stairs! Maybe this fellow has super-high moving
expenses. Even then, he could have factored it in the trade-up price,
depending on stock. Maybe.
	Boils down to the customer choosing a piano, not being pushed into one.
I've "walked" too many sales due to lack of pressure, so the competition
can "fib" or whatever, and get the sale, but.... well... gosh. At least
I've got tons of service to fall back on. I do love the expression on a
prospects face when you tell them that you wish they wouldn't make a hasty
decision."Sleep on it, or whatever, and by the way, here's the big city
fellow's phone #. He's got some big name imports for you to try." ALMOST
works every time. :^)>

Main thing is to make sure that the customer doesn't wind up with a bad
taste in their mouth... from anything or anyone in the biz, no?