Web Page

PDtek PDtek@aol.com
Mon, 11 May 1998 10:27:21 EDT

> I have been considering setting up a web page.  For those who have
>  already done so, do you now feel it was worth the expense and energy for
>  you, and is it likely to be worth the time and energy for me?  Do you
>  have any other thoughts, tips or guidance?  My work is almost altogether
>  on-location tuning and repair within a 15-mile radius -- homes,
>  churches, schools.  And it's currently at a reasonably comfortable
>  level, some months too busy, some on the light side.
>
>  Clyde Hollinger, RPT
>  Lititz, PA

As far as the expense, you can get web creation software like Claris Home Page
or Adobe's Pagemill for about $100 that writes the HTML for you. Uploading to
a server comes at no cost with many ISPs like AOL. Check with yours. As far as
your time, it depends how elaborate you want to make your site.You should be
able to create a simple page in a few hours. Myself, I enjoy the process and
change my site frequently, but thats an individual thing.

As far as helping your particular situation, I would expect the extra business
from your web site to be just about zero. Unless you promote your site with
great zeal, not many will see it in the first place. Also, this is the WORLD
WIDE web. Of those who do visit your site from all over the world, what are
the odds of having visitors from your 15 mile corner of the world? That also
have pianos? That need tuned? That are sold on using you from the strength of
the info on your site? That didn't already know about your service, being so
close to you? You get the idea.

On the other hand, if having your presence on the web sounds like something
you would like to do for the fun of it, then have at it. If you get a tuning
or two out of it, then consider that a bonus.

Dave Bunch
http://members.aol.com/pdtek/piano.htm