tuning stability

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sun, 10 May 1998 12:46:28

Hi Jerry,
         The reason I prefer a hammer shank, is that it will split before
you can kink the wire, ( another scorce of false beats) also less chance of
indenting the bridge.
 I use a 4oz hammer or the handle of my tunning pin hammer. A very light
tap is all that is needed. I have seen some pianos that have been treated
too aggressively with the brass drift, and thus becomes self defeating.
 The coils will require the usual steel tools to do the job.
Regards Roger

>In a number of post recently, there has been mention of tapping (bridge
>points, coils, etc) with a hammer shank. Is this preferable to a brass
>rod? Is a brass rod acceptable?

Roger Jolly
Balwin Yamaha Piano Centres.
Saskatoon/Regina.