coils etc.

Gregory Torres Tunapiana@adisfwb.com
Sat, 09 May 1998 02:51:14 -0500

Glenn,

Trace the wire path and lower the tension on the other end as well (-200 or so )
and this will help to keep the wire from pulling around the hitch pin.

Lower tension just enough on the offending coil so that you can either "tap" it
up with the impact coil tightener or pull it up with the coil lifter. Sometimes
I find that the stringing hook or even a screwdriver blade is the way to go. If
necessary I will drive the pin down some (with support, of course) After pulling
tension up an equal amount on both coils tap them up & down with the impact
tightener. Do the other coil as well. Then pull tension slightly above pitch (+2
cents) and tune, tap, tune, tap, etc., adjusting until the pitch stabilizes. If
it is a bass string then tap the hitch pin loop down to the plate as well.  Tap
the coils while sustaining the notes and hear the tension stabilize. Then
proceed with tuning.

I have found that this works very well in increasing tuning stability a great
deal.  BTW, this assumes you have an impact tool...    ;-)

Regards,
Greg Torres