coils etc.

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Fri, 08 May 1998 16:52:08 -0700

Howard S. Rosen wrote:

> Hi list and Susan,
>
> I have read this before, but would like to know why, as Susan wrote a few
> days ago, the top of the the coil should ideally pass over the hole on the
> opposite side. What is ideal about this?
>
> Howard S. Rosen, RPT
> Boynton Beach, Florida
Hi Howard,
          Think of your coil being formed like a screw thred, (helix) if
the first or uppermost layer of the coil passes half way thro' the
becket hole, and assuming the pin is left to right at 90 degrees to the
pin block, you will form the tighest possible coil, and obtaining the
best stability. If you take the discussion to the nth. degree then some
variation should tke place to compensate for the difference in the
thickness of wire.
Regards Roger