Caster Cups -Reply

Keith McGavern kam544@ionet.net
Tue, 5 May 1998 20:23:52 -0500 (CDT)

>Barrie Heaton wrote:
> >...How well does the foam work on uprights, I have a customer with a Yamaha
>> dis who is complaining its too loud for the small dining room...
>
>Works fine.  This is a fairly common problem because diskclavier owners
>expected to be able to turn the piano's volume down like an amplifier.
>Doesn't work that way, of course...
>
>Carl

I don't understand why you say it doesn't work that way, Carl.  Are you
referring to actually playing the piano, or when the floppy disks are
playing the piano?

The reason I ask is because I have a 1989 MX80 disklavier.  And using the
volume control in conjunction with  the muffler/practice rail felt, I can
achieve sixteen different levels of volume all the way to barely
perceptible when floppy disks are being played.  *And* if I wanted to sit
at the piano while its playing, I could even use the soft pedal for
additional control.

Now if I'm actually playing the piano, using the soft pedal in conjunction
with  the muffler/practice rail felt can easily achieve very quiet levels
of volume.

So I don't understand your comment, "...doesn't work that way, of course."

Keith A. McGavern
kam544@ionet.net
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731