bridge problem

Gregory Torres Tunapiana@adisfwb.com
Tue, 05 May 1998 16:28:17 -0500

Barrie,

It is a messy job either way you do it. The only benefit from the hypodermic is that
you can eliminate most of the air that usually is trapped at the bottom of the hole.
As for controlling the flow, not the greatest, but you do have some. After filling
the holes/cracks and re-inserting the bridge pins the epoxy will ooze out some. Then
after you wipe off the excess and evaporation, curing and "sponge" effect start to
take place you will probably have to add another layer of epoxy. However, one time I
did this repair and I guess I got lucky 'cause when the epoxy started to cure all I
had to do was take a razor blade and sharp chisel to it to trim the excess. (before
it is totally cured, as in the "rubbery" stage) Every other time I had to apply a
little more epoxy to build.

BTW, For the last 3 bass bridge jobs I made my own duplicates using the bridge
capping material from Schaff and some rock maple for the shelf and base of bridge.
Capping material is about $50.00 for a 30" x 30" square sheet and enough to make a
whole bunch of bass bridge caps. I hooked up with a shop down here who can get good
quality seasoned northern rock maple. I now prefer to make my own bridges but will
still do the epoxy repair when it's a PSO.

Yeah, I know I can send it off to someone else to do the work and mark up the price
to make a profit but I found it to be a very rewarding experience being able to make
my own bass bridge.

Regards,
Greg Torres