bridge problem

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Tue, 05 May 1998 11:13:49 -0400

The bridge repair thread seems to have run its' course and is now
focused on how to calculate the cost of the job.

No one that I recall suggested replacing the bridge.

First, why did the bridge split?  I'm willing to bet that the bridge had
no cap and that it was simply a 1 x 1 x whatever piece of maple - with
the grain running the wrong way.  I was once told that checking the
grain on bridge stock with a square cross section would be too much
trouble in the factory! Groan...

Anyway, I think that a straight bass bridge which doesn't require a
bandsaw or curved or individual bevels is a fairly easy job.  The big
question, if you're not yet set up with a table saw is:  "Do I ever
expect to replace a bridge on a piano in the future?"  If so, why not
gear up for it now, or perhaps remove the bridge and take it to a fellow
technician who might be willing to give advice and let you use the saw
for a few minutes.

Take careful measurements to make sure the downbearing is OK and make a
pattern from thin clear plastic.  Even if this seems like overkill for
this piano, it's an opportunity to get your feet wet so you'll be ready
when a piano comes along that really deserves to have a new bridge.

Carl