bridge problem

Gregory Torres Tunapiana@adisfwb.com
Mon, 04 May 1998 19:00:19 -0500

Barrie,

I think that your repair option is a good choice for some situations, and I also
agree with you regarding clamping, however if epoxy repairs are done carefully
there really shouldn't be any problems such as described (#2) Shrinkage occurs if
you thin the epoxy too much and don't allow for evaporation & the "sponge" effect
of the wood. Also, I use a medium size hypodermic needle to get the epoxy down
into the hole from the bottom which eliminates most of the air pocket problems.
And while wood is the first choice shimming wouldn't necessarily be better for
the sound, especially if the instrument is not made with good quality
wood/strings/scale to begin with? Just another thought.

Regards,
Greg Torres