Caster Cups

Gregory Torres Tunapiana@adisfwb.com
Mon, 04 May 1998 16:13:01 -0500

Larry,

I don't know about caster cups making the piano sound bigger than it is
unless, perhaps, it is set up on a wooden floor in the middle of a room which
could, in theory, transmit some of the sound passing through the
legs/castercups to the wooden floor, thus amplifying it very slightly. I
don't see how it could be significant unless it was a wooden floor where
underneath was no insulation and just open space, kind of like a giant
soundboard, if you will. Like I said, sounds good in theory but can this be
tested perhaps? Del, you out there??   : )

As to quieting with foam, yes, a piano can be quieted somewhat with foam
under the soundboard and above the strings.

Regards,
Greg Torres