Upright plate screws

John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Sun, 03 May 1998 11:51:47 -0300

Jerry Hunt wrote:

> On the old upright that I'm overhauling, a couple of the plate screws
> are stripped out. One almost in the center of the piano, and one at the
> bottom. How important is it to fix these, and what are acceptable
> alternatives for doing so.
>
> Thanks.
Hi Jerry,
It is very important that all screws tighten up.
In addition I would remove the top of the piano and check that the
pinblock has not seperated.
If it has clamp it back together, remove screws drill out the holes and
replace with bolts all the way through. Get it tight enough that the
glue or epoxy you use in the joint squeezes out.
Be sure to clamp the joint closed before you drill, this is so that the
sawdust does not get into the joint, and hinder a tight fit.
I have done this repair without lowering the pitch, with enough large
clamps it seems to come back together ok.  If it doesn't come together,
then you will have to lower the pitch to get enough compression with the
clamps.
Hoping it is just the two screws that are stripped.
Regards,
John M. Ross
PTG Assoc.
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
P.S. If it is just the screws? Clamp and drill the plate and hole to
allow you to put in a larger, longer screw or lag bolt.
I have found the screws used are normally too short and go into the
spacer rather than the post.