polish-silicones

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Sat, 02 May 1998 17:07:09

At 08:30 AM 5/2/98 -0400, you wrote:
>At one of the refinishing classes I attended years ago the instructor
>mentioned using Dow Corning Fantastik All Purpose Cleaner to get rid of
>silicones.  Can anyone verify this?

Hi Ted,
        It works fantastic!!!!!!!! Pun definitely intended.  We wash all of
our trade in pianos with Fantastik, do not be alarmed if the finish turns
milky, its just a reaction between the detergent and the polish, some
pianos have polish built up to the thickness of an egg shell so keep
applying untill clean.
  Use common sense when using, rubber gloves unless you want sore hands,
don't let it sit on the finish very long, wipe it on wipe it off.
  It is one of the few detergent's that I have found that will remove the
black discoloration off piano plates, and bring them up like new. Do not
let it sit on the plate finish or it will also remove the gilt. For plate
cleaning we cut with 50% water.
  The Ideal way to clean this type of finish is to use wool-wax with black
Scotch Brite pads. a little more work but the finish and sheen will look
brand new. It will also make the brass decal shine.
Regards Roger.