Funriniture polish on satin finish

Tim Keenan & Rebecca Counts tkeenan@kermode.net
Fri, 01 May 1998 15:32:13 -0700

Also sprach Jerry Hunt:

> I have a Boston grand with black satin finish. My daughter, trying to be
> helpful, used Plege furniture polish on it. How best to remove the oil
> slick?
> Jerry and List:

I think Ralph Martin's suggestion of Windex is a good one. I believe
Pledge is essentially a wax-based product, and ammonia is good at lifting
wax.  It should not hurt any finish except possibly shellac/french
polish.  Another thing to try is any of the sudsing ammonia-based
cleaners sold for cleaning walls and floors.  I would start with a cloth
or sponge just dampened with the dilution recommended for walls and
woodwork, rather than the concentration recommended for stripping paste
wax from floors.

Mineral spirits will get most of it off, but you will have to wash it
several times to get it all off.  The thing about the ammonia is that it
serves to make the wax suspendable in water, sort of the way detergents
do.  Wax is soluble in ammonia, and ammonia is soluble in water.

Tim Keenan
Terrace, BC