Computer poll

Vanderhoofven dkvander@clandjop.com
Tue, 23 Jun 1998 07:50:02 -0500

At 05:42 PM 6/21/98 -0700, you wrote:
>1.	What type of computer do you have (Mac or IBM clone) and what additional
>hardware or peripherals do you use with it?

486DX IBM clone (handmade by my father-in-law from parts bought from
computer catalogs) with 32 megs of Ram and 1.1 gigabyte hard drive.  We use
Windows 95 and it works great!  The computer was state of the art two years
ago, but now it seems kind of slow, as it only runs at 40mhz, and it takes
a while to respond when using too many programs at once (such as when I am
answering e-mail, chatting on IRC, typing something in Microsoft Word,
updating my calendar in Microsoft Outlook and doing some bookkeeping in
Quickbooks Pro and listening to a music CD all at the same time!).  We have
a 6X CD drive, a 3-1/2" floppy drive and a zip disk drive (100 megabyte
floppy disks) for backing up computer files.  (Just a short note, please
emphasize the fact that data must be backed up onto floppy disk drives or
it can easily get lost permantently!)   We also use a color Hewlett Packard
722C Deskjet.

>2.	How long have you been making use of your computer for business purposes?

About 3 or four years, but only the past year has it been very important to
my business.  Right now I could NOT do it without the computer.  I need the
computer to keep my schedule and finances straight!  And of course keep up
with all 5 e-mail lists and lRC chat!

>3.	When was the last time you upgraded your system?

About two years ago.  The next computer will probably be a IBM clone laptop
so that I can get RCT for Windows.

>4.	If you use a word processing program, which one is it and what sort of
>things do you use it for?

For the past two years we have been using Microsoft Word 6.0 which came in
a complete set of programs called Office Suite.  Word does everything I
want it to do.  I use it to write letters to customers, and I also have my
business brochure saved as a file in Microsoft Word, and I currently print
it out in color and give that to my customers.  Eventually I will pay to
get my brochure professionally printed on nice glossy stock, but that would
put an end to continually changing the wording!

>5.	Do you use your computer for bookkeeping? If so, what program do you use?

QuickBooks Pro 5.0.  The program cost about $150.00 on sale, but it is the
best money I have ever spent on a computer program.  QuickBooks Pro does
everything you could possibly need in a bookkeeping program, and you can
customize it to fit your business.  Once the info is in the computer, you
then can print out any kind of chart you want about your finances (Profit
and Loss, Balance Sheet, Inventory, Budget, Payroll, Sales Tax etc.).  It
also prints out bar graphs and pie charts in neat colors!

QuickBooks Pro will keep track of all your Accounts Receivable, Accounts
Payable, keep track of all the Invoices and Estimates and Purchase Orders,
keeps track of any number of bank accounts (including checking, petty cash,
credit cards and loan accounts), will keep track of Sales Tax payable, will
keep track of your employees and Payroll, and is supposed to even be able
to help you with Income Tax if you buy an additional program like Turbo Tax
(which I don't have.

>6.	How do you keep track of customer records?

Microsoft Outlook 97 has a data base to keep track of your customers
including several phone numbers and several addresses, e-mail address and
web page.  It also has a section for notes about each customer.  Outlook
also will keep track of every contact you have with a customer, such as
phone calls, letters, meetings, etc.  The only thing I don't like about it
is that as far as I can tell there is no way to keep track of customers
pianos in a specific field.  But even if I just keep the piano information
in the notes field, I can always use the powerful search engine to find
anything at all, so it doesn't matter that much.

>7.	Do you send reminders through your computer and, if so, how are these
>lists generated?

Microsoft Outlook will keep track of your calendar very well, and it has a
great reminder feature.  You can have a beep alert you when the reminder
pops up, or you can even have a .wav file (sound file) or a midi file play
a song when the reminder pops up.  You can delay the reminder for up to two
days, and the computer will keep reminding you forever until you decide to
cancel the reminder or until you get tired of hitting Postpone!

(Oh yes, with Microsoft Outlook handling scheduling it is now much harder
to schedule two customers at one time or to miss an appointment because the
info was written on hundred's of small pieces of paper laying here and
there and everywhere!

>8.	In addition to your computer files, do you also use index cards a/o
paper records to carry with you into the customer’s home?

I use Microsoft Outlook to print out my daily schedule, and I can also
print out the customer file to take with me, but I no longer use 3 x 5 cards.

>9.	Do you use your computer for billing customers?  Do you print invoices?
>If so which program do you use for these activities?

I use custom printed 3 part carbonless numbered invoices, but then I input
the information into QuickBooks Pro.  If I had a laptop computer and
portable printer, I could print out a customized color invoice on the spot.
 For Churches and Colleges and past due invoices I do print out another
invoice or a statement using QuickBooks Pro.

>10.	Do you do such things estimates and  appraisals, etc. from your
>computer?  What program(s) do you use for such reports?

I now use QuickBooks Pro for estimates.  The key is getting all of the info
put into the computer, (such as your inventory so you know how much parts
cost) without having to do research each time you do an Estimate.  The
other key is getting all of your service codes entered into the computer so
you can do the estimate by just clicking on the service you want to
perform, click on the parts you are going to sell, and then let the
computer do all of the adding and computing tax.  Since I let QuickBooks
Pro do estimates, it has been a long time since I have underbid on an
estimate!

Appraisals I still do using another form that I typed up.  I haven't
figured out how to use a program to do Appraisals yet.

>11.	Do you publish a newsletter from your computer and what method do you
>use?

I do not publish a newsletter, but when I do, I will use Microsoft Word.
It will do just about any format you want for a newslsetter.

>12.	Do you use a spread sheet for any of the above tasks?

I use Microsoft Excel to generate forms but I don't yet know how to use the
computing part of the program to automatically add up the columns.

>13.	Do you use a program for scheduling appointments a/o a Personal
>Information Manager?

Microsoft Outlook schedules personal and business appointments, reminds you
of unlimited number of tasks, and can keep your to-do list completely up-to
date.

>14.	Do you track shop work and tasks on your computer?

No.

>15.	Can you think of any other valuable ways your computer has helped you in
>your piano service business?

E-mail for all of the mailing lists!
IRC to chat with other Technicians online!

>Jeannie Grassi, RPT
>jgrassi@silverlink.net
>Bainbridge Island, WA

Sincerely,
David

David A. Vanderhoofven, RPT
Joplin, Missouri
http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/

#pianotech page:
http://www.clandjop.com/~dkvander/ircpiano.html

New web page for the Joplin Community Concert Association
http://www.concerts.joplin.com