Backchecking problem

Lance Lafargue lafargue@iamerica.net
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 08:27:55 -0500

I know you are all discussing a piano with some parts replaced.  I have a
Steinway D with the same problem.  All parts are original 1960's Teflon. I
was intrigued by Jim Coleman's ideas and others.  Any particular ideas in
an all original Steinway not checking?  I have "checked" the obvious.
Could a low key height be part of it? Tank you.
Lance Lafargue, RPT
New Orleans Chapter
Covington, LA.
lafargue@iamerica.net

----------
> From: Thomas D. Seay, III <t.seay@MAIL.UTEXAS.EDU>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Cc: caut@ptg.org
> Subject: Backchecking problem
> Date: Friday, June 12, 1998 5:54 AM
>
> Dear list,
>
> I am stumped with the backchecks on this piano. The piano is an early 80s
> S&S L with new Premium blue hammers on Renner shanks & flanges and
> re-leathered original backchecks. I have CLOSELY regulated key height,
dip,
> let-off and drop, spring tension, and all the other usual suspects. The
> problem is that the hammers absolutely refuse to check when the note is
> played at the level of forte or less. They just bounce between the
> backcheck and the string. The angle of the backchecks is good and they
> check high enough, but I just can't seem to get them to work in the
piano.
> The problem is particularly bad in the bass and tenor, where the hammers
> are larger.
>
> The problem may be in the balancier. When I push the balanciers down,
there
> seems to be much more spring resistance than normal although the hammer
> rise is not particularly fast. The original wippens have been rebuilt and
> repinned, so I'm pretty sure that it is a not pinning problem. The slots
> are clean and the springs have been cleaned and polished.
>
> I'm pretty much at my wit's end and if I don't get this resolved soon,
I'm