John Ross piano.tech@ns.sympatico.ca
Sun, 14 Jun 1998 00:32:54 -0300

James Dally wrote:

> Hello and thanks for the reply.  I have taken some dampers off to study the
> rail condition.  It doesn't show any signs of deterioration.  I was
> originally putting on a minimum amount of torque but (frustrated) I really
> tightened down on the screws.  Several moved quite a bit past where they
> were.  I hope the rail didn't give or the butts.  I do know that Schafff
> sells the new rails.  $90 each section.  I may have to invest.  Many
> thanks.  Jim Dally
>
> ----------
> > James,
> >
> > Is it the butt plates that are breaking or the rail itself? If it is
> chronic
> > you may just have a case where the brass  has  "crystallized". I don't
> know if
> > this is a legitimate technical term for it but I don't know any other way
> > explain it except that the brass has changed it's molecular structure and
> has
> > weakened. Or somewhere another tech has over-tightened the screws
> weakening
> > the
> > brass. If it is the rail you may have to have the brass rail duplicated. I
> > don't know who does this anymore-anyone else???
> >
> > You might also be able to get by with the brass rail flange/plate repair
> clips
> > sold by Apsco or Schaff. They have proven indispensable for me many
> times. I
> > keep a couple dozen of the different types in my parts bin at all times.
> Good
> > Luck.
> >
> > BTW, maybe someone can explain why stainless steel has not been used in
> this
> > type of application (I haven't seen it used anyways) besides being more
> costly
> > than brass, perhaps??? Del?? any others??
> >
> > Regards,
> > Greg Torres
> >
> > James Dally wrote:
> >
> > > I installed new butts and hammers on a Kroehler upright.  I have checked
> > > the brass rail and the brass butts where the screw goes in.  This is the
> > > type where the screw goes through the rail and then the brass butt
> receives
> > > the threaded screw.  The butts have been replaced where hammers have
> > > loosened but the problem continues.  When it seems I have solved the
> > > problem, another hammer loosens.  As near as I can tell the rail is not
> > > cracked.  If anyone has had experience with this problem I will
> certainly
> > > appreciate advice.  Jim Dally

Jim,
If the screws tighten up more, I think you will find the butt plates are
cracked. I have always found that if some slack is found in the screws,
it is much better to replace the butt plates.
The singing sound, as previously mentioned, is a sign of the butt plates
needing replacement. That is a sound that is heard if the hammer is held
forward and released to hit the hammer rail, the questionable ones will
sound different. When in doubt change.
Regards,
John M. Ross
PTG Assoc.