What temperament is a guitar tuned? (encore)

Tim Keenan & Rebecca Counts tkeenan@kermode.net
Wed, 03 Jun 1998 22:20:38 -0700

Bill, John, Keith, and anyone else who is still listening:

Also sprach Billrpt:

>>It is far easier to simply believe in and agree with someone else who
> > says that anything but ET would be wrong and without proving it, proclaim that
> > it "wouldn't work".

I take it you must be referring to me--I recognize those last two words
as something I *actually* said.

I first was exposed to historical temperaments about twenty years ago at
the hands of an organist and harpsichordist named Richard Birney-Smith.
He had a little portatif pipe organ, and did concerts in a variety of
historical temperaments, including mean-tone.  I found it very
interesting, and in many cases found that the historical temperaments
added a great deal.

Now: let's get to "Well Temperament" (an awkward reverse construction
from the adjectival phrase "well-tempered".  Initially, this phrase
presumably referred to a novel approach to temperament which rendered
keyboard instruments playable in a variety of keys.  It did not refer to
any of the specific formulae which have since been devised by a whole lot
of very erudite people.

I have agreed with you, Bill,  that guitars generally require some
adjustment of temperament, which renders them more well-tempered.  I
leave out the capital letters on purpose.  I have demonstrated logically
that a formula for what you call a Well Temperament cannot be applied to
a guitar, because all the different ways one can produce the same note
give different pitches, which means that what you say about given keys
having characteristic colours is nonsense, unless you only play one form
of each chord.  When you say the keys of A and G sounded sweet, I presume
you mean using the simplest forms of the I,IV and V chords in those keys,
each of which has only three strings fretted, all within the first three
frets.  This is a lot like what I said about open tunings.  However, if
you played them in an E-form barre, they would NECESSARILY have the same
colour as the key of E (presuming that the frets are accurately placed).
 If you played them in a C-form barre, they would have the colour of C.

You (Bill) have not responded to this central thesis of my argument in
any way I have presented it so far, and I don't expect you will now,
either.  I can only assume that you don't understand it, and that you
haven't tried it yourself, because it is self-evident to anyone who
actually plays a guitar.  I respectfully suggest that you pursue your
guitar playing a bit and learn some of the many other ways of producing
the chords in the keys of A, G, a-flat minor, and b-flat minor, since
those are the ones to which you refer, and you will see that the colour
you attribute to key is an artifact of the position on the neck.

So that's it.  I'm done.

And please let's all be friends.  There is absolutely nothing personal in
any of this.  I bear you no animosity, Bill, honest.

Tim Keenan