sticky stuff

Fri, 31 Jul 1998 00:51:14 -0700

Stephen Birkett wrote:

> One serious question...I would be interested to know if anyone does use
> titebond glues for felt strips.

I've done it in a pinch. Not to be recommended. It takes to long to set up,
hence it soaks into the felt for some considerable time after application often
leaving the equivalent of a starved glue joint. Hide glue reigns supreme in this
application. Well, almost. When it comes to gluing felt to metal -- or, more
commonly, lacquer -- we've been using a melamine adhesive. It bonds to
non-porous surfaces somewhat better than does either hide glue or "white" glue.

Del