Symphony program advertising

R. Goodale rob.goodale@nau.edu
Thu, 30 Jul 1998 21:07:12 -0600

> >...By the way, my headline I have decided will be...
> >
> >"If there is a piano in tonight's performance... I TUNED IT!!!"
>
> Not meaning to be offensive, Rob, but that is a pretty strong statement
> that can't be retracted once it is in print.  Which means you absolutely
> must be the person who tunes the piano without fail for each performance,
> and each tuning must measure up to near perfection, especially where
> unisons are concerned.  One unison out, and your statement will reek with
> overtones of being a blowhard and, at the same time, demonstrating
> incompetency in the profession you profess.
>

> Keith McGavern

I appreciate your input, honestly. Actually I am the official tech here.
There is really only one other qualified and registered technician in
this area and really doesn't have any interest in doing the work. I
suppose that in some kind of emergency someone could step in for me, but
only under my recommendation. As a hedge I might add that since the
audience never actually sees the tuning in progress, (I usually get it
done early in the day), it is unlikely that this would ever be a
problem.

On the other hand, I see your point. It could in some respect come off
as arrogance. It seemed to me, however, to be an absolute sure way to
get attention. Think about it for a moment. All of the advertising in
the program are for services that you have to go "somewhere else" to
see, not unlike most advertising. In my case, however, my work is being
displayed and demonstrated right before the audience' eyes.... And
appreciated might I add. After all, the piano is exactly what they came
to see. Television can't even do that! And as the season progresses and
the people return again and again they continue to see the same ad
reminding them that "Hey honey, we ought to get that ol' pianer tooned
again".

Well ok, maybe so, maybe not. But the premise seems to make some kind of
since at the moment. Any further comments or suggestions are welcome.

Rob Goodale, RPT
Northern Arizona University