laminated bridge question

Thu, 30 Jul 1998 07:42:20 -0700

Stephen,

No adhesive (with the exception of epoxy) is particularly good at gap filling.
Some are less bad than others. Regardless of the theory you sight, my experience
-- and that of countless other woodworkers -- has taught me to expect much
better gap filling qualities from aliphatic resins (Titebond, etc.) than from
animal hide glue. With aliphatic resins this gap filling quality can be enhanced
by adding a bit of wood flour to the glue. I don't know if this would also work
with hide glue. I've never heard of it being tried. As may be, many -- not all,
but probably most -- of the failed animal hide glue joints I've taken the time
to look at over the years were the result of an excessively wide, or thick, glue
line. Not all of these were "old" glue joints.

Contrary to popular belief, aliphatic resin adhesives really don't require all
that much clamping pressure. Especially with soft woods. Our rib-to-soundboard
press uses 45 pounds of pressure. We've never had anything remotely resembling a
glue joint failure. In fact, within ten or fifteen minutes after applying
pressure to one of the cauls it is impossible to separate the rib from the
soundboard without either breaking the rib or tearing off the surface of the
soundboard.

The glue does like a bit more pressure with hard woods, but it doesn't really
require the extreme amounts recommended by Hoadley either. If there is a good
mechanical fit between the two adherands, aliphatic resins do make quite good
"rubbed joint" bonds. Good thing, too, or all of those millions of mortise and
tenon joints that woodworkers the world over have made with the stuff over the
past few decades would have come apart by now. In fact, it is in applications
like this that aliphatic resins really shine. They do tend to withstand the
sheer stress created by the cross-grain wood movement inherent in most mortise
and tenon joints or in a half-lap joint extremely well.

Regards,

Del