Perceived Worth

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 21:13:42 -0500 (CDT)

Hi Clyde,

I'm one of those guys who condemns them rather than try to reverse or
minimize the devastation of the last eighty years of the old beater's life
with a couple of hundred dollars in repairs. I think it ultimately boils
down to two questions. How busy are you, and how happy would you be about a
prospective rebuild customer getting a look at the results of your partial
resurrection of the poor dead beast? If you are not neglecting higher level
work to do it, aren't concerned about having your name attached to the piano
in question, and feel like you are giving the customer their money's worth
in the attempt, there isn't a problem.

Ron

At 09:12 PM 7/29/98 -0400, you wrote:
>Z:
>
>The one thing my clients mention the most is that they can count on me
>to call them when the next tuning is due.
>
>I have often pondered the "best service" thingy.  Let's set up a very
>likely scenario.  A family buys a big old dead piano and moves it into
>their home.  Then they call me.  I go out and charge them a couple
>hundred to put the thing in "reasonable playing condition;" that is, all
>the keys do something, broken parts are repaired or replaced, and it is
>reasonably in tune even if it's flat.  Have I done the right thing or
>not?
>
>I get the feeling that some technicians would simply say something like,
>"Sorry to be the bearer of sad news, but the piano is dead.  Here's
>Larry Fine's book.  Get a better one.  That will be $30 (or whatever)".
>Which way will the client be most satisfied, having just expended all
>that energy to move that monster into the house?  I have yet to have
>anyone express displeasure for my doing business this way.
>
>Consider this:  Suppose I take a clunker car to the mechanic.
>Everything is wrong with it except that it runs.  I want a tuneup and a
>muffler.  Will I be happy with the mechanic if he refuses to do anything
>because the car is shot and those two things will cost more than the car
>is worth?  Probably not.  By the way, I HAVE condemned some pianos, but
>I could probably count them on one hand.  I have also tried recently
>asking gently,  "Have you ever considered getting a better piano?"  Once
>the answer was yes; usually they don't look very happy with me.
>
>Just in case anyone is thinking I therefore get to tune only junkers,
>not true.  I get my fair share of Baldwin, Kawai, Steinway and Yamaha
>grands, and a couple times each year I am told I am the best in the
>area.  I don't argue, even though I feel otherwise.
>
>I have the gut feeling I just opened a plastic bottle of centipedes.  I
>request your forgiveness in advance.  Thanks!  :-)
>
>Clyde Hollinger, RPT
>Lititz, PA

 Ron