Zimmerman flanges

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 17:12:40 -0400

To add a snippet to both Del and Avery's comments:

Kawai does feature synthetic flanges in the more contemporary models.

A variation of Del's comments, specifically the "drying" part: During the late
70's/early 80's, after ABS materials began being used in imported Kawai
models,
there were problems of flange sluggishness reported. Isolated instances could
still exist today. This is also typical of pianos that have been
'rediscovered', similar to  the vertigris phenomenon on S&S instruments.

In each case that was pursued, it was determined that a technician (not
necessarily the one reporting the problem) had used traditional elixirs on the
action. In some instances, the actions were lubed when no sluggishness was
evident! The reason for that remains a mystery.

The ABS flange remained inert to the flange lube; however,  the solvent
(carrier) deteriorated the bond between the flange and the bushing cloth.
While
wet, this caused the glue to leach through the bushing cloth. Later, after any
evidence had evaporated, the results were parts being pivoted on glue instead
of cloth.

This may be what Ron is experiencing, although unless Ron was the first and
only technician to service the piano, it's difficult to determine.

At 11:34 AM 7/29/98 -0700, Del wrote:
>Some years back I looked into what sounds like a similar problem on another
>piano. If memory serves the problem was with the adhesive used to hold the
>bushing cloth in place. It never really "dried." As some of the various
>solvents, etc., crept through the felt they tended to bond the felt to the
pin.
>The only solution was to replace the flanges and the pins.

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net
Yes, I'm familiar with Brambach... why do you ask?
	-Jim Harvey, 1974