Music Wire

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Wed, 29 Jul 1998 00:58:27 -0600

Hi John,
          Using Roslau wire on a North American Piano designed for BS. SWG
will drop the overall string tension by 1000 to 1500lbs. about 5%, this
will result in about a 5% drop in sound board loading, 50 to 100lbs.
depending on down bearing angles. A noticeable loss in sustain may well be
noted.  The big problem could be found going the other way, increasing this
amount of tension on some of the entry level pianos that have been cheaply
built, could cause some serious problems long term.
Regards Roger

At 05:09 PM 28/07/98 -0300, you wrote:
>List,
>Since I changed to Roslau wire, I now only have metric sized wire.
>How many of you carry both metric, and domestic sized stringing wire?
>Is it felt that both sizes are required, or is it close enough to
>replace with the opposite kind?   ie.mm for in. and vice-versa.
>Just interested.
>John M. Ross
>Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada.

Roger Jolly