'Grey Market' Yamahas- again

Roger Jolly baldyam@sk.sympatico.ca
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 00:47:41 -0600

><<"The soundboards are much more apt to crack or have
>severe pressure ridges when they see their first year or two here.">>
>  You can't have it both ways Ed...you can have cracks or you can have
>pressure ridges both you can't have both as they are mutually exclusive.  If
>the climatetological reason that "grey market pianos" are not acceptable is
>that the  ambient humidity in American homes is much lower than in Japanese
>homes than "cracking" would be the problem and not "presssure ridges".

Hi Jim,
        In the extreme dry zones this is what we find. Many of the pianos
arrive with clear evidence of pressure ridges. (Almost unheard of for new
pianos shipped to this region.) Once the piano dries down the pressure
ridges produce some wonderful cracks. So there you have it pressure ridges
and cracks.
Regards Roger.
Roger Jolly
Baldwin Yamaha Piano Centre