laminated bridge question

Ron Nossaman nossaman@SOUTHWIND.NET
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 12:02:03 -0500 (CDT)

>Can somebody build a bridge fixture that will let them get the clamps set in a
>few minutes?
>    I think the answer to whether hide is the right glue depends on available
>procedures.

*At last! That was my entire point from the very beginning.

>In conversation some time ago with Cliff Gears, ( who certainly
>understands production requirements of glue),  he said that hide glue became
>obsolete because it was too inconsistant in the factory setting.  Everybody
>had their own ideas of how thick it should be, and the ensuing variability
>caused problems in production standards.

*No surprises here.

>     In my one-person shop, I enjoy my action work more when I use it,  it
>lends a dynamic to the felting process, and if everything is tuned just right,
>what is left of a full baby food jar of hide glue is perfect for gluing
>hammers, after all the other bushing and felt work is done.

*I use an electric glue pot, but, yes. I wouldn't use anything else for
hammers, key bushings, and general felt work unless I just didn't have any
choice. Like I said (too) many times, I have nothing against hot hide glue,
I just doubt that I can get a hide glue laminated bridge in cauls and clamps
before the glue jells on me.

>     I personally like hot hide glue, and have already ascribed spiritual
>powers of acoustic properties to it.  No, no scientific basis for this, ( I
>did say it was spiritual!), just lack of evidence to the contrary.

*Considering the reported practice of some primitive peoples of eating the
hearts of lions (etc.) to absorb their strength and courage, I think I'll
pass on any speculation as to the potential spiritual acoustic benefits
derived from the use of a residue of boiled cow hides. %-) I'm suer you will
understand.

>Regards to all,
>Ed Foote
>(anybody got convention hi-lites to toss to those of us cyber-pals that were
>unable to be there????)

 Ron