'Grey Market' Yamahas- again

John Woodrow John.Woodrow@aus.dupont.com
Tue, 28 Jul 1998 11:09:47 +1000

Willem Blees wrote:

I think I covered what you are asking in my post
to you, but perhaps you didn't get it, so I'll repeat what I said, (shortened
version).
<<
Willem,
I drafted my reply to the list after one read through of all responses.
After a second reading I realised that there were individual responses
(including yours) that I should have acknowledged.  Apologies to all that
contributed that I did not acknowledge in my summary.

One: I am replacing the pin block on a 25 year old grey market piano. This
is my first one, and perhaps my last. But this is something that can happen.
<<

As you indicated this appeared to an isolated incident, and as a problem
such as this could potentially be found on any second hand piano of unknown
background, I mentally didn't record it as part of a broader problem.  Any
differing thoughts appreciated.

The statistically valid question I should have asked was how this pin block
performance (or lack of it) compared to US sold Yamahas of similar age,
work history, and environment shifts.  An aside question, why a new pin
block v's simply larger size pins?

The second part of my post simply stated that dealers will most likely not
stand behind the piano they sell, because Yamaha will not stand behind the
dealer. And this might be the most important reason to be wary of these
instruments. Unless the dealer will guarantee the piano for a number of
years, then the customer should consider buying another instrument, either
new or used, sold by a store or technician who is willing to stand behind
the instrument in the case something happens to it.
<<

Very valid point.

The way I view the 'grey' issue is similar to buying a car.

At the top rung of the market is the new car.  You buy it from a recognized
and trained dealer and have the full backing of the dealer and
manufacturer.  It requires a large initial outlay and the new purchase
price has a margin to cover anything problems that should occur.

Next down the rung is the 'quality second hand dealer'.  Usually this is a
secondary side of a new car dealers business.  You have the backing of the
dealer, but usually not that of the manufacturer.  These cars are not the
'cheapest in town', are hand picked and the selling price has a premium to
cover warranty issues etc.

At the bottom of the rung is the no frills budget car yard.  The warranty
and only about as good as making sure you get the car out the front gate.
This is real buyer beware territory.  No frills, low price, and taking your
chances is what this market segment is about.

To me these are all valid segments of a free market.  The consumer can
chose a trade off between price, quality, and service.  However, I believe
the key to the correct operation of the 'market' is quality information.
The seller has the 'knowledge', the consumer is disadvantaged because
he/she generally doesn't.  Who is critical to close  the knowledge gap as
advisor to the consumer, correct, the technician.

However, when it comes to the topic of 'grey market' I have found that most
discussions seem big on generalisation and low on hard facts eg. they all
fall apart (but they don't), they are all 'beat to death' (whatever that
means).  Some list responses indicated blanket statements of never
recommend a 'grey' to anybody.  Using my car example, should a motor
mechanic advise a person with limited funds to 'never go near a cheap car
yard'?  I don't think so.  Advise the consumer with facts. Go check out the
cheap cars son, but don't pay a cent till I come and inspect it is a
reasonable response.

I encounter a few greys (increasing all the time), but not really enough to
have formed a factual opinion on their long term performance under various
conditions.

Regards,
John

Email:		Woodroj@syvax.email.dupont.com