Advertising

Z! Reinhardt diskladame@provide.net
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 10:58:07 -0400

Hi Rob!

If my experiences of 10 years ago is anything to go by ...!

Ads that ran only a week brought in no calls.

Ads that ran for months at a time in the local papers brought in a
smattering of calls (just short of paying for the ads month by month), most
of whom were shoppers with much-neglected pianos looking for "the best
price" for service.

A friend of mine has an ad in the local yellow pages, and reports getting
all kinds of older pianos.  She happens to be very fond of old uprights, so
it works well for her.

Currently, my best sources of referral have been coming from the music
stores, and as the business builds, from happy customers.  Dealing with
piano teachers is a 2-way street -- if they like your work, they will refer
you to their students.  If you like their attitude, refer your customers to
them.  Many customers are already students of piano teachers I have not yet
met, so I get them talking about about their teachers.  I usually end the
conversation by saying that I would love to meet the teacher someday,
whether or not she is interested in having her piano(s) serviced at that
time.

Hope this helps ...
Z! Reinhardt RPT
Ann Arbor  MI