Grey Market Pianos

John Woodrow John.Woodrow@aus.dupont.com
Mon, 27 Jul 1998 16:14:05 +1000

Kit,
Thanks for the great input.  A couple of questions to clarify some points:

Kit Cleworth <kitster@ptialaska.net> wrote:

Over the last 5 years I have brought in two grands (Yamaha G3s) and about 5
uprights which were gray market.  I sold them here in Fairbanks Alaska.
Fairbanks is extremely dry in the winter.  Needless to say, I sell lots of
Dammp-Chasers.
<<

Not knowing your part of the world, would you consider your area to be in
the extreme zone of piano environments?  (The reason I ask is my only
reference to what your environment may be like is staying in ski lodges
where after a week of the combination of dry atmosphere and heaters turned
up to melting point I feel totally dehydrated).

  The grands both suffered significant problems.  Cracked soundboards,
loose pins, etc.  The pianos would probably be considered in grade B
condition by the wholesaler.  Several other clients of mine own US-sold
Yamaha and Kawai grands.  There are very few similar problems with these
pianos, even those that have been here 15-20 years.
<<

Did the problem 'grey market' grands have Dammp-Chasers fitted?  Do the US
sold Yamahas and Kawais that hold up well have Dammp-Chasers fitted or do
they survive OK without a climate control system?

My experience with the uprights is a little different.  I bought
gray-market Yamaha U-1s and U-3s, and several others (including a Wurlitzer
console...figure that one out)  Aside from obvious humidity problems such
as slightly rusty strings and dull, dull sounding hammers (which responded
well to light hardening) I have had no problems with them.
<<

Any thoughts as to why the uprights held up OK but the grands didn't?

Best Regards,
John

Email:		Woodroj@syvax.email.dupont.com
Telephone:	61-2-99236103