stuck

Richard Moody remoody@easnet.net
Sat, 25 Jul 1998 01:51:42 -0500

Thanks Chris
	Your reply brings back memories of Steinway jacks with failing glue
joints, causing horrors of malfunctions. Now please realize this was one
or two jacks in only one of ten pianos. Well CA had just come out and the
way that thin stuff wicked in and set up, I just couldn't resist.  I noted
what jacks had been treated with this new glue on the invoice and told the
clients that if this failed, what the cost would be then. I didn't get
called back.  I guess I was lucky.
	Now I realize why the jacks might have failed but I didn't then. I just
"repaired".  I thought the impact of the jack heel on the let off capstain
was causing it.  The jack cushon seemed too far back to cause stress. So
as they say live and learn, or for the technician, "serve and learn"

Richard Moody Winken Blinken and Nod

btw. The way I learned of these joint failures was to "wiggle" the heel.
Those with weak joints got pushed down much easier.  I always thought they
should have used a dowel in those joints. But can you imagine the cost?
At least 5 cents per....

----------
> From: Christopher D. Purdy <purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu>
> To: pianotech@ptg.org
> Subject: Re: stuck
> Date: Friday, July 24, 1998 3:55 PM
>
> >> Reach up and wiggle the
> >> toe of the jack.  It should be able to at least wink at you.  >
> >

> >Is the toe on the elbow or foot of the jack? Exactly how is the jack
> >"winking" ?
> >
> >Ric The Winker
> >

> Ric,
>
> Sorry I was not clear.  By toe I am refering to the end of the jack
where
> it comes in contact with the let off button.  By winking I mean that
there
> should be room for the jack to move slightly when you are holding the
key
> all the way down against the front rail punching.  This just shows that
the
> top of the jack is not buried in the felt in the rep. window.  If the
jack
> is against the let off button and buried into the felt in the window
when
> you are holding the key down with only moderate pressure, a hard fast
blow
> will break the jack at the "elbow" near the center pin.
>
> winky,
>
> -Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens
OH