"Grey Market" Yamaha Pianos

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 23:24:11 -0400

Frank, depending on the manufacturer and the year of manufacture, there may be
some clues. The domestic Japanese market is pretty big on fascade. IOW, if you
don't normally touch or see <whatever>, why bother painting, grooming, or
otherwise detailing <whatever>. One example: top of plate bronzed -- bottom of
plate (below the keybed) black.

At 09:05 PM 7/24/98 -0400, you wrote:
[cut]
>I'm not sure that I've caught them all, however.  When I see a Yamaha
>grand with two pedals, I feel certain it's a grey market paino.  I'm not
>sure how to tell when a vertical is grey market.  Any help here?

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net
It's only a piano.
              -- Richard Davenport (date unknown)