Hantavirus

harvey harvey@greenwood.net
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 19:08:34 -0400

Your tip is excellent John, and is now a locked message on my system.

Having just found Cantrell's article, I did a speed-read. I'll go back later
for the in-depth version. There is another tip I'd like to submit to my
'Southern' colleagues. In the picture w/Cantrell's article, note that the
southeast is excluded from high incidence. However, if you're like me, you
also
have a high incidence of pianos recently 'imported' from other parts of the
country. The message? Assume nothing, and proceed with caution.

Also, now that this subject is in the forefront, I just did a search for
'hantavirus' at  http://www.altavista.digital.com (what all us hackers use)
and
got 4902 hits. I'll be exploring some of these sites soon. In the meantime I
have questions, both from the PTJ article and your post:

1. I recall (source forgotten) that disposable paper masks are practically
useless in this application. Something about leakage, or their filtering
capability (porosity?) does not support cooties this small. Since
self-contained astronaut or biohazard outfits are not stocked by Wal-Mart,
what
does work? I.e, is my lacquer spraying mask superior to the paper style -- or
to nothing at all?

2. Where do you find 99% IPA? The local pharmacists obviously think I'm
running
a crack house, so I've quit asking them for supplies OR sources.

3. After applying <whatever> as a disinfectant, does one procede to clean
while
the areas are wet? This doesn't seem a particularly pleasant arrangement. Or,
does one wait until the areas are dry and assume the virii... viruii...
viruses
-- little buggers have been killed off?

4. Going against the suggestions, it occurs to me that an aerosol OR a pump
sprayer might be equally inappropriate. On initial blast, either will disturb
the sh... ah, areas. Thoughts?

At 11:16 PM 7/22/98 -0600, John wrote:
>One other tip:  Out of courtesy to those who bore hammers as per samples
>submitted always treat the hammers, shanks and butts with IPA before
>sending them to your hammer supplier for boring.

Jim Harvey, RPT
harvey@greenwood.net