'Grey Market' Yamahas- again

Carl Root rootfamily@erols.com
Fri, 24 Jul 1998 15:55:43 -0400

Delwin D Fandrich wrote:
> As I said, it's time for a serious reality check here. These pianos are nothing
> more or less than what they are. There is no conspiracy. There are no secrets.
> These are simply very heavily used Yamaha and/or Kawai pianos, mostly coming out
> of educational facilities, mostly in need of extensive service work that they
> are not going to get. They are being sold on the basis of the good name and
> reputation of their builders. But, surely, this sort of thing has been going on
> for decades with pianos built and used in the US. Why should we be surprised
> when some enterprising entrepreneur does it with pianos built and used in Japan.

I am not aware that anyone has every collected US made pianos on such a
large scale with the intent of supplying them in sufficient quantity for
someone to make their resale a significant part of their business.

Some of them are sold as is, but many are 'shined up' to the point where
they can be sold to unsuspecting buyers as new instruments.  Sounds like
a conspiracy to me.

Thanks for your post.  Does anyone have a copy of the letter Yamaha sent
us several years ago on the subject?  I would very much like a copy.

Carl