stuck

David ilvedson ilvey@jps.net
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 08:15:18 +0000

Looks like your hammer blow is too narrow and your backchecks
are to high...I would try setting the blow to 1& 6/8".  Your
hammer will then probably be resting on the top of the back
check.  I believe there is a tool for backchecks that will fit
in your drill press?  It fits down over the backcheck and you
can press further into the key using the drill press levers
(drill press not running of course!).  With the hammer at rest
the backcheck top should be level with the shank.  You will need
some sort of jig for measuring height of backcheck as you
proceed.  Increasing your blow distance and decreasing the
keydip will help and I suppose you have already tried this?
Increasing the dip of course will make the jack rotate even
further.  Check your jack position to knuckle and regulate
further under if possible...Is it possible that the hammers have
too much felt on the lower shoulders?

Good luck...it will work out!

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, CA