Damper guide rails-success

NBWW@aol.com NBWW@aol.com
Wed, 22 Jul 1998 09:45:33 EDT

List
Thanks to all you guys with your suggestions on rebushing damper guide rails.
I read all the posts and went at it. A 5/32" drill bit cleaned the hole
without touching the wood and left a little glue residue. I "kissed" the
bottom side of the holes with a rosebud (counter sink) to remove the glue
collar. Standard strips of key bushing cloth filled the holes perfectly. I
chose the #7 bridge pin to get a little more clearance and allow for rebound
of the felt. After inserting the felt w/o glue and the pins, I soaked the
bushings with alcohol/water solution, heated the bushings until dry, left the
pins in for a couple of hours, installed, regulated dampers to touch the side
of the hole and came out with a beautiful, quiet set of dampers. Slight
rebound from the bushing cloth has not affected the work.  Thanks every one.
It's very satisfying to get good advice that renders good results.

BTW  "you guys" is a Minnesota term used to greet friends--all genders
included--our version of "you all."

Paul Chick RPT