Yamaha factory tour

ETomlinCF3@aol.com ETomlinCF3@aol.com
Mon, 20 Jul 1998 19:43:33 EDT

List,

I just returned from a trip to Japan.  Was able to tour three of Yamahas
factories in Hamamatsu and nearby cities.  I was surprised by how much was
"handcrafted" and not machined.  Although there was a good deal of Yamaha made
piano machines around.  Even a tuning device that was fully automated.  The
first tuning was done by machine (robotics) and the last tunings were done by
ear.  I was totally impressed by their Vacume Shield Mold Process plant where
they make the plates.  Wow... they know pianos.  If any one has a question
about my time over in Japan at Yamaha I would be glad to tell all.  I cannot
take the time to share my total trip...nor would most want me to.

Night all....(jet lagged)

Ed Tomlinson
Vancouver Wa