Alternative SAT Switching

Paul McCloud smccloud@ix.netcom.com
Sun, 19 Jul 1998 00:24:07 -0700

Here's my SAT switch arrangement:
	I bought a Radio Shack doorbell, wireless type.  I hooked up a relay
inside the receiver (bell) unit to which I connected to a minijack to
plug into the SAT.  I got a 5X6" piece of plexiglas and mounted the foot
switch along with the pushbutton (transmitter) unit.  I found that this
unit has convenient terminals on the back, so I cut the wire from the
switch just long enough to reach the transitter and connected the two
together.  It eliminates that troublesome wire to the SAT which always
had a tendency to break or become intermittent.
	I tried making several versions of the wireless switch, using small
car-alarm transmitters (keychain variety).  Some worked well, but the
battery life was not as long as I hoped- lasted about a week.  I mounted
one of these transmitters on the back of a neoprene weightlifters glove,
and put a switch on the inside of the glove so I could press it without
moving my hand.  The glove was "fingerless" so you could use your
fingers without difficulty.  It worked very well, but again, the
transmitter batteries were always going dead in a short amount of time.
I finally gave up and went back to the Radio Shack footswitch idea.  The
batteries last for months, and it is extremely reliable.  But then, if
you hate chasing the footswitch...
	I made up a bunch of the wireless footswitches if anyone is
interested.  By the way, the reciever and SAT mount on another piece of
plexiglas, which allows a larger "footprint" to stabilize the SAT on
narrow plate struts.
	FWIW,
	Paul McCloud