Tuning Pin Size

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 21:05:34 EDT

Mark writes:
>only takes a few minutes to mic the pins and
>sort them - don't be too picky. Then use the pins by size, larger as you
>move toward the bass.

    I agree, this has always been part of my restringing, too.
Another thing is that I use a faster feed in the top sections of the pinblock,
it reduces torque slighlty.  There is no need for 150 inch/lbs in the top two
octaves of a piano, but I have seen,(I bet we all have seen!),  Baldwins that
were that tight, all the way to C88.  Unnecessary, and uncomfortable.
    The differences in pin diameter of .002" are a lot more profound when
using a real hard block, like Falconwood.  With the softer traditional
American blocks, I don't detect the difference in torque as much.
Regards,
Ed Foote