Sticking Steinway dampers

Christopher D. Purdy purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 11:34:06 -0400 (EDT)

Mike,

I agree with Bob and Lance, check those first.  If you are still having a
problem you might want to check the angle of the damper wire as it travels
through the guide rail bushing.  I have had Young Changs doing just what
you describe.  Really frustrating because they will only do it after you
have been playing for a while (though  what that has to do with it I can't
figure).  Anyway, the damper wires have to go through at exactly 90 degrees
from start to finish.  A pair of bending pliers will clear it right up.

>Hello List
>
>I am experiencing a recurring problem when I tune newer Steinway grands.
>Sometimes when I apply a test blow while tuning, the damper (usually
>tenor/treble) will "hang" and not return to the string unless I tap it back
>down with my finger. From that point on, the damper seems to work fine until
>that note is played ff or louder, then it hangs again. In most instances I
>believe this hanging damper problem was not evident until I applied the test
>blow.
>I believe that the offending damper wires were initially rubbing against the
>guide rail bushing, but not hard enough to be affected by the friction. When
>I apply my test blow the damper wire bends somewhere along its length
>causing it to move deeper into the side of the bushing causing excessive
>friction, resulting in the hanging problem. Many times this hanging can be
>fixed by applying a VERY light film of protek on the damper wire itself (not
>the bushing). It seems more often than not, I must remove the offending
>damper and rebend the wire to allow it to move in the bushing freely. Once I
>do this the problem does not appear again.
>
>The real frustration here is when it is a relatively new piano being rented
>for a performance. I need to apply those test blows, but am always afraid
>they may set off a hanging damper, the repair of which seriously cuts into
>my allotted tuning time.
>
>Is this a common problem others have experienced? If not, I guess I must be
>forced to assume my test blows are applied a bit too enthusiastically, which
>I do not believe to be the case.
>
>Mike Musial RPT
>Reedsville Pa

-Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.   School of Music  Ohio University  Athens OH

-purdy@oak.cats.ohiou.edu   (614) 593-1656    fax# (740) 593-1429