Sticking Steinway dampers

Mike Musial mmusial@acsworld.net
Fri, 17 Jul 1998 09:44:37 -0400

Hello List

I am experiencing a recurring problem when I tune newer Steinway grands.
Sometimes when I apply a test blow while tuning, the damper (usually
tenor/treble) will "hang" and not return to the string unless I tap it back
down with my finger. From that point on, the damper seems to work fine until
that note is played ff or louder, then it hangs again. In most instances I
believe this hanging damper problem was not evident until I applied the test
blow.
I believe that the offending damper wires were initially rubbing against the
guide rail bushing, but not hard enough to be affected by the friction. When
I apply my test blow the damper wire bends somewhere along its length
causing it to move deeper into the side of the bushing causing excessive
friction, resulting in the hanging problem. Many times this hanging can be
fixed by applying a VERY light film of protek on the damper wire itself (not
the bushing). It seems more often than not, I must remove the offending
damper and rebend the wire to allow it to move in the bushing freely. Once I
do this the problem does not appear again.

The real frustration here is when it is a relatively new piano being rented
for a performance. I need to apply those test blows, but am always afraid
they may set off a hanging damper, the repair of which seriously cuts into
my allotted tuning time.

Is this a common problem others have experienced? If not, I guess I must be
forced to assume my test blows are applied a bit too enthusiastically, which
I do not believe to be the case.

Mike Musial RPT
Reedsville Pa