shellac tips needed

Wallace F. Wilson WILSON53@MARSHALL.EDU
Wed, 15 Jul 1998 15:05:14 -0700

I mix my own.  All shellac has a shelf life, and we have no way of
knowing if the stuff off the shelf is still good.  With a new job, I mix
it up a day ahead - flakes and alcohol mixture from Woodcraft called
Behkol.  A blend of alcohols is better, as the methyl and isopropyl each
have certain properties.  Another problem with off the shelf is wax.
It's in most of them.  Mix your own and you avoid the problems that come
with wax.  Finally, it's cheaper to mix your own! Would you let us know
if the razor blade suggestion on the ridges works?