Interesting topic

Clyde Hollinger cedel@redrose.net
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 22:48:16 -0400

John J. Kowalski wrote:

> List,
> I recently was buying some tools and stuff from a tech who was not in our
> local chapter or the guild.  As we looked over the tools, which he bought
> from another tech, the subject of tapping in tuning pins came up.  I had
> always been alerted that you should never tap or hammer-in loose pins.
> There were three proper ways to fix the problem: next or over-sized tuning
> pin, metal sleeve, or pin block restorer.  I would love to see comments and
> debate on this issue, as I would gain from all your various experiences and
> situations.  Thanks.

John:

If I encounter loose tuning pins that appear not to have been tampered
with yet, my first course of action would be to tap them a little
deeper.  On grand pianos this involves removing the action so I can
support the pinblock, unless it is just one or two pins.  Usually there
is plenty of room before the coil will touch the plate.  If that fails I
would go to the next size tuning pin if there aren't too many loose
pins.

I have used pinblock restorer on several pianos of little value over the
past years; I don't believe I have done any this way in the last five
years.  The biggest problem was having the piano on its back for a week;
people don't seem to take a shine to that!  Using care to keep the
solution off the coils should avoid any problem with rust on the
strings.  In every case, the results were satisfactory (considering the
piano) and permanent.  A piano I still tune got this treatment over
fourteen years ago.  I've never tried the CA glues for this purpose.

I would never use a metal sleeve.  I just strongly like the idea.  I
only recall seeing once where someone else tried it, together with a 7/0
pin, and the pin still wouldn't hold a pitch.

Clyde Hollinger, RPT
Lititz, PA