Turbo vs. NY Improved

Douglas K. Rhodes drhodes@ISLANDNET.COM
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 18:40:46 -0700

I greatly appreciated the digested comments about the Renner Turbo wippens
that apppeared in the July Journal, and have re-subscribed to Pianotech-L
to ask this question:

How would one characterize the perceived differences between the Turbo
wippens and the NY Improved wippens offered by Steinway? I can appreciate
that the NY Improved are not adjustable, but wondered if the difference in
lift ratio compared to the older style wippens would be comparable to, say,
10 grams worth of spring-lift. Also wondering whether technicians have
experienced difficulties getting the NY Improved wippens to function
effectively in older actions.

Thanks

Doug Rhodes, RPT
Victoria, BC Canada