Bridge Cleaning

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 18:48:50 EDT

Avery asks,
> Since no cause of the rust in such a narrow area has ever been
>established, what would be your suggestions to clean the bridge top &
>pins before re-graphiting?

    A very stiff bristle brush works well.  I usually ruin one per bridge, but
it does scour the pins and bridge surface.  Also, I don't think it is overkill
to replace the bridge pins if they are corroded at the contact point.  This is
particularly true on the top two or three octaves.  It is usual to see a
bridge that needs re-notching once the pins are out, and it does make a
noticible difference in the sound.
Regards,
Ed Foote