Interesting topic

Tom Cole tcole@cruzio.com
Tue, 14 Jul 1998 10:29:38 -0700

> John J. Kowalski wrote:
> >
> > I had always been allerted that you should never tap or hammer-in loose pins.
> > There were three proper ways to fix the problem: next or over-sized tuning
> > pin, metal sleeve, or pin block restorer.  I would love to see comments and
> > debate on this issue, as I would gain from all your various experiences and
> > situations.  Thanks.

John,

I think a good case could be made for using a sleeve. Not the metal
kind, which gives a poor feel, but a piece of 150 or 180 grit sandpaper,
used with the abrasive side out. With the pin removed, insert a rolled
up piece into the hole, leaving it proud somewhat so that, after making
several vertical snips, you can spread out the exposed "tabs" to prevent
the shim from bunching in the hole. Less than a single turn of paper
will probably do it - no overlapping.

I like this idea because it preserves the original pin (I often don't
have the appropriate oversize/length), there is no chemical mess and no
cyanide gas to breathe. It does no harm to the piano.

If there are a large number of loose pins to correct, however, then I am
more open to CA treatment.

Tom

--
Thomas A. Cole, RPT