Kimble grand/Schwander action

R. Goodale rob.goodale@nau.edu
Sun, 12 Jul 1998 22:06:28 -0600

John J. Kowalski wrote:

> Dear List,
> I'm not too familiar with the Schwander actions and I have a bit of a
> problem. <snip>
>
> The piano tuned well and sounds great now; despite the fact she hadn't had
> it tuned since she got it.  Here's the real problem, the action plays like
> your beating rocks.  That is to say it's very, very hard.  I play
> professionally and I've never played one this hard.  The let-off feels
> amplified in the key.  It feels heavy, but not necessarily slow.

Just one final thought...

Many Schwander actions had the little "helper" spring on the back of the
wippen- sort of like the new Renner "turbo" idea. Could it be possible
that this action "should" have had these but somehow didn't get them...
OR... originally had them but were removed by some other "teknishun"?  I
don't know how much of a difference this spring would make to touch
weight but it might be worth a peek. I have a Schwander grand action
model around here somewhere that has this design.

Rob Goodale, RPT